Dachshund also called sausage dog with its short legs and long body is a member of the hound, a crowded hunting dog group. Although thin dogs come to mind when talking about the hound, the hound dog group is actually very large. In this group, dogs like Dachshund are against the hound symbol in our minds. Sausage dogs have a very cute appearance and are one of the most popular dog breeds in our country.
The origin of the Dachshund dog breed
While the origin of sausage dogs is known to date back to Ancient Egypt, modern Dachshund dogs are the work of German dog breeders. This breed is a hound breed bred primarily for hunting tunnel animals such as rabbits and rabbits, especially badgers. This breed, known as “teckel” in Germany, was refined by German foresters in the 18th and 19th centuries. The junglers worked to develop a fearless, long-bodied breed that could enter the yew nests. They achieved their goals with years of effort, and this breed became popular in the early 1900s. It became one of the most fed family dogs in America in the 1950s. Dachshund is a dog breed that is known all over the world and is known as a family dog.
Physical Properties of Dachshund Dogs
– Dachshund dog breed, ie sausage dogs have three different sizes; toy (toy), miniature, and standard.
– Toy Dachshund dogs are around 30 cm and their weight is 3.5 kg on average.
– Miniature Dachshund dogs are 30-35 cm tall and their weight is 4 kilos.
– The height of standard Dachshund dogs is 35-45 cm, and their weight is an average of 9 kilos.
– Sausage dogs have 3 types according to their feathers. These are known as smooth, longhaired, and wirehaired.
– Smooth dogs are short-haired, their feathers are single layer, straight and soft. Smooth Dachshund dogs’ feathers can be cream, scarlet, chocolate, light brown, black and gray.
– Longhaired dachshund is long-haired, its feathers are wavy and shiny. The long-haired dachshund may also be the same colors as the smooth dachshund.
– Wirehaired dogs are short-haired, their feathers are hard, dense, and coarse. The feather colors are black-and-white, boar color, or red tones.
– In general, sausage dogs’ ears are big and drooping.
– His eyes are oval-shaped, and his colors can be brown-black or dark red, amber, light brown, or green.
– Their tails are long and they usually carry in line with their backs.
The character of Dachshund Dogs
The first thing that comes to mind when Dachshund is called the character of dogs is the great passion they have for digging. So, when you want to adopt one of these cute dogs, you need to know that it will get you digging at every opportunity. Therefore, it is necessary to create this environment from time to time.
Dachshund dogs are very smart dogs. But they are not very enthusiastic about education and they are very stubborn. So it is necessary to be patient to train these little dogs.
You may be interested in Dog Training Products
Dachshund dogs are also known for their extreme dependence on their owners. This commitment can sometimes focus on excessive protectionism and aggression towards other people. Therefore, Dachshund dogs must be socialized during puppies. Dachshund dogs that do not socialize adequately are very likely to experience a tendency to aggressiveness.
– These dogs establish an average relationship with foreign people.
-They can’t get along well with other dogs. It has even been found that Dachshunds, who do not socialize adequately, attack and even attack large dogs.
Many of Dachshund dogs tend to have excessive barking.
– Sausage dogs love to play. They also get along well with children. So sausage dogs are great friends for families with children.
Of course, the information we provide about the character of dachshund dogs has emerged from the generally observed information. In other words, not every dog named Dachshund or Sausage dog has the above characteristics.
Dachshund Dog Care
Sausage dog care is quite easy. These tiny dogs are dogs compatible with apartment life. There are only excessive barking trends, which can cause problems for your neighbors. It is enough to comb the short-haired sausage dogs once a week, and the long-haired ones twice a week with a dog hair comb. Dogs also called the Dakhund breed tend to gain weight. Those who are overweight can cause very serious health problems in this short-legged race. A nutritional plan should be created to prevent weight gain in the care of these dogs.
Diseases in Dachshund Race
This breed is prone to weight gain. In dogs, obesity prepares the ground for many serious problems such as cardiovascular problems, diabetes, and cancer. Therefore, their average life span is between 12 and 15 years. First of all, it is necessary to prevent weight gain to ensure that Dachshund dogs maintain a healthy life. Apart from this, the race is prone to many muscular and skeletal diseases with its long body and short legs. To prevent these diseases, Dachshund dogs should be prevented from gaining weight. Eye problems can also be encountered in Dachshund dogs. The right thing should be taken regularly to the veterinarian for an examination.